Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Our Garden Adventure

Well, it's been a few weeks since we started our little garden. Some things are taking off, while others are non-existent...
 Here are our containers of herbs and peppers.... looks like the basil (or cilantro, we forgot which) is coming up, but the peppers are MIA.... So I planted more seeds today and we'll see what happens..
my little tomato plant... it gets some yellow flowery things, but no tomatoes to be seen.
the little 'stick'  in the pot underneath the tomatoes is a raspberry 'bush'... not sure what is going on with it since I don't know what it is supposed to look like as it grows. I guess I should research that, huh?
Our onions seem to be doing ok....
the green beans are good too, though I am seeing some of leaves looking
 like they are getting eaten by bugs? not sure...
our carrots are nowhere to be seen, so this morning I planted some melon seeds. Again, not sure I was supposed to do that, but figured I had nothing to loose...
the summer squash is looking good, but the okra hasn't showed up.
 I think one of the problems is that we put our box garden too close to the fence and
 part of it is not getting full sun..  But I planted more okra among the squash this morning to see what happens
our peas are doing pretty good, kinda competing with the green beans!
So, over all, I guess it's working out. We are definitely learning as we go.

On an unrelated topic, here is a picture of my birdfeeders in the backyard.
 I have 5 of them....
I am not exagerating when I say I fill them up in the morning, and by evening they are empty!
It is crazy! I feel like word got out that there is a 'bird seed buffet' in my backyard
that all the birds are talking about!!

We have a lot of black birds right now and I am not fond of them. I wish I knew if there was a specific bird seed that they don't like so I could discourage them from coming. They are overpowering the cardinals and finches.... :(

1 comment: