Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year

The worship service Sunday was a great way to start the new year. First of all, the congregation recites a verse in the Bible every Sunday. This month's verse is:

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.   
Romans 12:1-2

What a great verse to put you on the right track for the new year!

Then, the choir did a song special "Happy Day" 
 


This was apparently one of the songs in VBS last year and there are motions. Every time the choir sings it, the youth and random adults will stand up and do the motions! It's so cool! 
Of course, afterward, the pastor feels he needs to explain.... haha..... this time he said if we could look back to the day Christ entered our lives, we should be able to rejoice and sing those words with real fervor.
So, that got me thinking of when I asked Christ into my life....

I was 16 and it was 'Midnight Watch' at our church for New Year's Eve. Among other things, we watched one of those 'left behind' type movies. I completely related to the people left behind and it scared me to the core!  See, the Summer prior, the youth went to camp, but I wasn't able to go. When they came back, they all shared their testimonies. Several youth got saved at camp. I wanted to feel like them, so I came forward and "joined" them. But it was all superficial. I just wanted to fit in. So when I came down that New Year's Eve and said I wanted to be saved, the lady counseling me asked "didn't you come forward just a few months ago?"....   I know that night I asked Jesus into my heart because a giant boulder was lifted from me and I could breath again. I have never felt as lost as I did that night before coming forward and I have never questioned my salvation since.

Ok, so back to church this past Sunday.... As I was remembering, lo and behold the next song we were singing was "My Tribute".  This was one of the very first songs I ever sang in youth choir!!  I have always loved it, but haven't heard it in years!!


I desire to be used by God in whatever way He sees fit. But I am lazy. I don't read my Bible, study my SS lesson like I should. And last night, I realized it had been days since I actually had stopped and prayed/talked with God. Sure, I went to church, really enjoyed the service and Sunday School. And I am continually thanking God for things throughout the day. But I hadn't REALLY spoken with Him in days.
That's what the sermon had been about. He preached from Amos 5:1-7.... the people were DOING the right things, but they were far from God.  I don't want to be that way. Life is hard enough as it is.

May I quit 'playing church' and fully surrender to His will. I guess you can say that's my Resolution

1 comment: