Monday, June 30, 2008

Patriotic Parade

Yesterday, our church gathered at 4:30pm and stood on Parsons Avenue with flags to celebrate Independence Day. Ok, we were early, but it's a "simple church" mentality to have this event already on a day we come together. Plus, afterwards, we all went to the sanctuary and had a wonderful patriotic service. The music was amazing (I always need tissues), there was a recognition of the service men & women, and at the end of the service, the pastor asked for all active military folks & their families to come forward so the church could pray over them. Very cool.
The pastor's message was very challenging. It was on the scripture:
2 Chronicles 7:14.
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land

The pastor kept saying "IF" "IF"... This verse shows it is up to us, the Christians, "His people", to stand up and make a difference in our families, our neighborhoods, our community, our COUNTRY. He mentioned of the "buzz word" going around in the political circles: change. What kind of change are WE making? We can't expect the world to make the changes God wants if the world is not submitting to God's will. Are we? Things in this country are not that great right now, (though it could be worse and we should be grateful). But why is that? Have we (Christians) been too conforming? Have we gotten too lazy, to afraid, to speak out on behalf of our Savior? Is it easier to say: what can I do? I am just one person?...

I think I have. To be honest, sometimes I have been afraid to open my mouth and make matters worse. But if we walk with the Holy Spirit, we should not be afraid. We should, instead, prepare ourselves with the Word and be ready to proclaim what God has done for us.

This blog is for me. I need to be better at arming myself with scripture, to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's moving all around me. But I thought I would share and maybe you would pray with me.

the line went from Morgan St to Victoria St
Me & Fred in red
Fred with his big flag. For those of you "old timer" KABCers, that's the Gickers standing next to Fred
The big flag in the middle of the street is our pastor running with it. Crazy guy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I used to babysit for the Gickers when I was like 12!! I almost forgot about them! Thans for the post and the message is so true. I too will be praying this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool!
    I am having a brain fart. The name Gicker sounds familiar. What were their names & the kids names? (You know I can only associate the parents with the kids!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the kids are Michelle, who is Andy's age, Josh, & Shannon... then they had another one after they left KABC.

    ReplyDelete